Sunday, March 29, 2015

What happened to Steve Jobs' office at Apple?

Steve Jobs' old office at Apple has remained almost completely untouched since his death on October 5, 2011. Apple CEO Tim Cook revealed in an interview with Fast Company published on March 18, 2015 that he and his team have left it "exactly like it was" before he died.

 

 

Q: I noticed you still have Steve’s nameplate up next to his old office.

Tim Cook: Yeah.

Q: Why? And will you have anything like that over at the new place?

Tim Cook: I haven’t decided about what we’ll do there. But I wanted to keep his office exactly like it was. I was in there with Laurene [Powell Jobs, Steve’s wife] the other day because there are still drawings on the board from the kids. I took Eve [Steve’s daughter] in there over the summer and she saw some things that she had drawn on his white board years earlier.

In the beginning I really didn’t personally want to go in there. It was just too much. Now I get a lot more appreciation out of going in there, even though I don’t go in very often.

What we’ll do over time, I don’t know. I didn’t want to move in there. I think he’s an irreplaceable person and so it didn’t feel right . . . for anything to go on in that office. So his computer is still in there as it was, his desk is still in there as it was, he’s got a bunch of books in there. Laurene took some things to the house.

I don’t know. His name should still be on the door. That’s just the way it should be. That’s what felt right to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment